Netflix is an online platform that enables users to watch TV shows and movies on smart TVs, PCs, Macs, mobiles and tablets.
- CEO: Reed Hastings
- Mission: At Netflix, we want to entertain the world. Whatever your taste, and no matter where you live, we give you access to best-in-class TV shows, movies and documentaries.
- Revenue USD MM (FY20): $20,156.45
- Headcount: 8,600
- Women make up 48% of the leadership positions
- Each employee gets a fully vested 10-year stock option plan
- Customize compensation by changing the proportion of flexi vs. fixed benefits
- Matched donation to a not-for-profit of employee’s choice capped at $10,000
- Independent decision-making
- Share information openly, broadly and deliberately
- Maintain candidness
- Retain highly effective people
- Avoid rules and hard coded systemic values
The foundations of freedom and responsibility — not having a lot of rules, not having policies, not using sort of a bureaucracy or hierarchy to govern — but instead really providing context to folks and giving them all the freedom to do their job and all the responsibility … has increased over time instead of decreased, and continues to work.
– Tawni Cranz, Chief Talent Officer at Netflix
Drivers of culture
The “keeper test” to evaluate employees – If one of your employees was leaving for another job would you fight hard to keep him/her at Netflix?
If the answer is “no,” then Netflix will put that person out to pasture. Or, as it shares in the culture deck – Sustained B-level performance, despite ‘A for effort’, generates a generous severance package, with respect.
- Total ratings on Glassdoor: 1200
- Overall rating: 4
- Recommend to friend: 73%
- CEO approval rating: 90%
- Parental leave
- Time away
- Family forming
- Stock option program
- Personal top of market
- Employee giving program
- Expenses and work-related travel allowances
- Work, not drive
- Relocation benefits
Diversity and Inclusion
- 47% of the workforce is female
- 54.5% of the workforce ethnicity
- 41.9% of the ethnicity in leadership
It takes diversity of thought, culture, background, and perspective to create a truly global storytelling platform.
Key internal resource groups
- Vetflix – for veterans
- #sherules – for women
- Swana – for employees from Africa and SW Asia
- Mental Health
Match-up to Netflix!
- Evaluate your leadership mix
- Provide flexible and growth-oriented benefit packages
- Support personal initiatives of employees with resources